David Cowley developed his own brand of horsemanship through the most organic means, directly from a life with horses. David grew up on the Rafter Six Ranch Resort in Alberta, where he had the opportunity to be raised alongside a large herd of horses. This unique childhood allowed David to naturally learn from the horses on an instinctual level as well as connect with people from across the globe. The combination of this, along with David’s pure love of the horse, is where his horsemanship skills developed.
The name “Two-Way Trust Horsemanship” came to David at the Top of the Calgary Tower as he described how he prepares his horses to be able to accomplish such a feat. “I know when my horse is ready by instinct, when I trust my horse as much as he trusts me’. There is no way to practice this and no room for failure. It takes a different level of understanding, relationship and trust than conventional horsemanship.
From a very early age, David and his horses embarked on unique challenges and thrilling adventures, which provided a foundation for success with Extreme Cowboy Racing and The Calgary Stampede’s Cowboy Up Challenge. Although the other competitors may have had more experience competing and showing than David, his partnership and relationship he has with horses are what makes the difference. Trust, patience, clear understanding and compassion are key elements to his success.
David began teaching his approach just a few years ago and is inspired to help people and their horses connect and understand each other on deeper level. “I started out doing my public appearances as a way to show people what is possible – to demonstrate an advanced horse & human relationship and encourage or inspire others to grow. If I can help people, then I am helping even more horses”.
Some of David Cowley’s accomplishments with horses include:
- Becoming the first and only person to ride a horse across a glass-floored walkway and observation platform (Glacier Skywalk in the Canadian Rockies 280 metres (918 ft) above the valley).
- Being the first and only person to ride to the top of the Calgary Tower with six different horses of various breeds
- Riding his horse into the John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California for welcoming and marketing the WestJet inaugural flight.
- Providing horse and rider appearances into hotels, shopping and convention centers across Western Canada.
- Reserve Champion at the Calgary Stampede’s Cowboy Up Challenge 2015
- Pro Go Round winner at the World Finals in Extreme Cowboy Racing Association 2015.
Following his film training with the New York Film Academy in Hollywood, California, David worked in television and films and went on to train professionally as a stuntman. He soon developed into actor, stuntman, wrangler and stunt coordinator in the film industry. David is now starring in a new film “Secrets of the Horse” premiering at Equus Film Festival at the World Equestrian Games in September 2018.
More information on David can be found at: www.twowaytrust.com